Acne is probably the most common skin condition worldwide.
In spite of the fact that acne is self-limited as a disease, it is not recommended to wait and watch without proper treatment. Apart from the disfigurement and the scarring it may produce, acne is also responsible for low self-confidence and may lead to depression. Therefore, acne should be treated properly and in time!
For detailed information about acne clinical presentation click here.
For a successful treatment of acne one should take into consideration the following basic facts:
- An “overnight” treatment or “immediate” cure for acne does not exist
- Acne treatments take time (first results usually seen in one month)
- Acne treatment must be ongoing in order to be effective and lasts for as long as the skin is prone to acne lesions (often for more than one year)
- Treatment plans for acne may include either topical medications (creams), either systemic medications (pills) or a combination of both, depending on the severity of acne and other factors such as age, gender, etc.
- There is no one treatment that is right for everyone, nor is any specific treatment effective for a single person throughout every stage of the disease. In every case, the best approach is an individualized treatment plan.
- Acne medication should be accompanied by proper skin care with specific dermaceutical products in order to obtain the best results.
- Never pick or squeeze acne lesions in order to get rid of them, as these manipulations get acne worse and can cause scars!
- There are medical modalities of getting faster results such as comedo-extraction, chemical peels, that may be applied in combination with certain acne medications under certain circumstances.
Finally, it is worth mentioning that while acne scars are commonly considered difficult-to-treat, research advances have led to a variety of improved treatment modalities, such as:
- Dermabrasion, such as microdermabrasion
- Special chemical peels
- Laser Skin resurfacing – Fractional CO2 laser
- Surgery for scar reconstitution and fillers
Acne is highly controllable. Proper treatment can prevent scars and help you feel and look your best. Seeing your Dermatologist helps ensure that you are getting exceptional acne care in order to achieve the best results possible!